She continues to fall while standing, moving, or thinking. She is often in her own little world and moves pretty slow to her parents' continued annoyance. She loves to sing and dance and is pretty good at paying attention and not falling during dance class. She is also taking swimming lessons and continues to be fearful of putting her face in the water.
Bryn's close friends are Ella, Leah, Kenadie, Jax, Billy, Drew, Ava, Abby and Sydney. She constantly tries to keep up with the big girls in the neighborhood and they are beyond patient with including her in their fun.
Bryn started out her birthday celebration two weekends before her birthday when she and I went to the American Girl Doll Store to find a very special, once in a lifetime, American Girl Doll. The experience was close to a total failure. She told me that she would like an American Girl Doll because all of the older girls in the neighborhood have on average 6 or more of them. (Thanks neighbors.)
Mom Mistake #1: In order to really build up her excitement, I told her to look at them all on the American Girl Doll website and pick out the one she liked the best. She picked out the same one I would have chosen, Caroline Abbott.
Caroline Abbott has a cool story to her name. She is one of the historic dolls who lived during the War of 1812 and she is known for being courageous and kind. I like that message. She has a bunch of books that come with her about being strong. Even better. Bryn would tell you she has pretty hair and she likes pink.
Mom Mistake #2: Fast forward to the drive to the store where I talked about the War of 1812, talked about Caroline, talked about how important it will be to take care of Caroline and how nice it will be to have a doll that is courageous and kind! Blah, blah, blah. (Bryn is still thinking about Caroline's pink dress and curly hair).
Mom Mistake #3: We get to the store and I make a huge deal about finding Caroline and that Caroline is "waiting" for Bryn and is sooooooo excited to go home with her.
After about five minutes of searching the store, no Caroline. Caroline was discontinued 48 hours before we walked into the store. No she is not in the back and still available for purchase and no she is not available online we are told.
Mom Mistake #4: After a few tears by perhaps both of us, I tell Bryn that this is even cooler. She can pick out any doll in the entire store! What a treat!
She is still upset while walking around and then spots a doll on the wall in a pink dance dress with incredibly long hair and a tiara. Done! Great! Me to lady: "We want that one please." Lady: "That one is not for sale. It is for display purposes only. But, you can get a Just Like Me doll and make her look like this one!"
Try explaining to a 4 year old how we will transform a doll to look like the other doll. Especially after her mom has all but convinced her that they are all real and want to go home with her.
There is a reason the store says these are for 8 years and up.
So, we ended up with "Doll #33," plus a $890,000 hair extension, $15 tiara, $30 dress and $12 hair ties. Bryn still wanted the other doll on the wall, but by the time we were getting our toenails painted, she was pretty excited.
Mom Mistake #5: I told Bryn, hey, you can just name this doll Caroline! Bryn buys into that and is pretty excited.
Three days later I get online and discover that Caroline Abbott was still available to order. X*#!X!. What do I do? Well of course I panic and buy the damn doll for Christmas. In order to try to prevent confusion, I make the suggestion to Bryn that her Caroline really looks like a Jane and wouldn't it be cool to have her doll have the same middle name as her Grandma Bell? No luck. Oh well, I'm thinking. At least I got Caroline ****ing Abbott.
Mom Mistake #6: Last weekend just to punish myself, I showed Bryn a picture of Caroline Abbott online and said "look! that's the one you wanted!" Response: "No I didn't. I wanted the one on the wall with the tiara."
Caroline Abbott is not returnable. I'm sure she will be the evil doll just like my Cabbage Patch Doll was to me while I happily cuddled with my knock-off Punkin' Penny. I'd like to blame the store for this fiasco, but it was entirely the result of me going a little crazy.
Birthday Party Day
Deanna Rose
Post-Birthday Party with the Grandparents
Birthday Day with Mi Mi, Joyce and Papa Joe



No comments:
Post a Comment